The polycarbonate of bisphenol A, or polycarbonate plastic, was independently synthesized by polymer chemists Dr. H. Schnell of Bayer AG, Germany and Dr. Daniel W. Fox of General Electric Company, the USA in 1953.
Polycarbonate is a virtually unbreakable plastic and its variations are fashioned into eyewear lenses, protective equipment including bullet-proof glass, numerous medical devices, and can also be used as a building material in greenhouses. It can be utilized through glazing applications, digital media such as CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs, as well as outdoor lighting fixtures.
What are Some Commercial Production Methods for Polycarbonate Plastic?
- Extrusion into tubes, rods, or multiwall
- Extrusion into sheets and film for use as is, or further machined into other shapes
- Injection molding into items ready for use.
Our polycarbonate materials are available in a broad range of standard and custom colors. Let Silk Road Trading Egypt Plastics be the center of your one-stop plastic for polycarbonate.
What are the Benefits of Polycarbonate?
Polycarbonate is highly impact-resistant, making it an ideal choice when security or strength are required. It is used to create materials such as bullet-resistant glass (often referred to as bulletproof glass) or windows designed to improve security. It also is a thermoplastic, meaning it can be reheated and cooled without compromising quality. Its UV resistance allows it to be used in outdoor applications including greenhouses, skylights, and nurseries.
What is Polycarbonate Plastic Used For?
Due to its high strength, polycarbonate plastic has a wide range of use cases. This includes protective gear, exterior lighting fixtures, bullet-resistant applications, furniture installations, sports goods, medical industries and more. Without any protective coatings, polycarbonate only resists 10% of UV rays, which is ideal for plant life and greenhouses. Below are some additional common use cases:
- Roofing panels
Types of Polycarbonate
Polycarbonate comes in a wide range of forms. At Silk Road Trading Egypt Plastics, we carry the following:
- Polycarbonate Sheets – Polycarbonate sheets are impact-resistant and strong. These are often used in greenhouses or as windows. Custom sizing is available.
- Bullet-resistant sheet – Also commonly referred to as “bullet-proof glass”, our sheets come in three levels of resistance and a wide variety of sizes and thicknesses.
- Polycarbonate Rods – Our rods are durable and a great alternative to materials like glass or acrylic. We offer a wide range of diameters and sizes.
- Polycarbonate Tubes – Able to withstand various elements (including fire), our polycarbonate tubes are able to endure high stress and impact. A wide range of sizes is available for purchase.
- Twinwall and Multiwall Polycarbonate Sheets – This material is ideal for builders and architects looking for an environmentally friendly and economical way to install roofing and siding.
Is Polycarbonate Plastic Safe to Use on Food Applications?
Yes, extensive safety data on BPAs in polycarbonate has shown that polycarbonate plastic can be used safely in consumer products. The use of polycarbonate plastic in food-contact applications continues to be recognized as safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, The European Food Safety Authority, the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment, the Japan Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, and other regulatory authorities worldwide.
How Do I Clean Polycarbonate Plastic?
To clean polycarbonate plastic:
- Use a plastic polish or cleaning product like Novus Acrylic Care & Cleaning products.
- Remove any dirt or debris from your plastic. To prevent scratching, do this by blowing on the material.
- Next, use Novus #1, warm water, and a mild soap until your polycarbonate is clean.
Note: Avoid using any ammonia-based products when caring for your polycarbonate items, as the ammonia will damage your polycarbonate plastic.
Is Polycarbonate Natural or Synthetic?
Polycarbonate is a synthetic plastic, originally discovered in 1953. Polycarbonate is produced through the reaction of bisphenol A (BPA) with phosgene COCl and is extremely strong plastic.
Brands We Carry
Silk Road Trading Egypt Plastics carries polycarbonate sheets from Lexan, Makrolon, Palram Palsun, Plazit Polygal, and more. Standard & oversized polycarbonate panels are in stock as well as 75″ x 144″ and 75″ x 125″ boards. Available options solar grade, UV resistant, bronze color, and gray color